Monday, June 6, 2011

I'm Writing A Novel!

So this blog is going to catalog my foray into novel writing. Now I am not new to writing novels. In fact I have started many, but have never finished them. The one I came closest to finishing was full of teenage angst and incredibly depressing. I wrote it when I was 17 and going through my first major break-up. It was based off the Andy Warhol painting "1947-White". To the right is the photo Warhol's painting was based off. This was way back in 1997 when the internet existed, but was not full of as much info as it is now. So I didn't know the whole story of what happened. I just saw this beautiful woman and wondered what made her jump to her death.

I called the book "Desiree" and it was a horrid novel. Now that I can read more about the suicide it's amazing how right I was in some aspects. You can read more about it here: http://kottke.org/08/07/the-most-beautiful-suicide

But now, a mere 14 years later, I am writing a new novel. And to be honest I think it has a great deal of promise. It's called "Fainting Over Dafydd" although I'm torn between spelling it "Dafydd" or "Davydd".....do my readers have any thoughts? It's an update of Jane Austen's "Northanger Abbey" although I don't follow the plot exactly. It's a loose interpretation. It follows the life of Catharine Moore, Khaki to her friends, as she researches her dissertation in Florence, Italy. I'm halfway through with 120 pages and over 51,000 words. I normally go by word count just because it makes me feel like I've accomplished more. 

Tomorrow I'll post the beginning. I hope you'll read it and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment